Address: 55 Dalley Street, Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Phone number: 02 6684 1286
Mullumbimby & District Neighbourhood Centre Incorporated (MDNC)
ABN88 628 199 635
MDNC was established in 1985 and incorporated in 1987.
Seven member committee representing a diverse local population and includes two counselors, activists, a solicitor, book keeper, community worker and a client representative.
General community, geographically/rurally isolated individuals and families, women, unemployed, individuals and their families experiencing financial difficulties, socially and economically disadvantaged people.
MDNC service a 900 sq km catchment – north to Yelgun, south to Ballina/Byron shire boundary.
Government or externally sourced Funding
- Department of Social Services – Emergency Relief Program and Parent Support Program (PARENTeam)
- NSW Department of Family and Community Services
Diversity of service delivery
- Information and Referral Service
- Women’s Resource Service; Domestic Violence Program
- Parent Support Program (PARENTeam)
· Volunteering opportunities – including work for the dole, mutual obligation, Community Service Orders and Work Development Orders
· Brighter Futures
- Emergency relief:-
Electricity payment Assistance scheme
- Tax Help
- Broadband for Seniors
- Drop in Centre
- Soup Kitchen
- Group activities
- Meeting room
- Community facilities
Community meeting room
- Work for the Dole placements
· Lismore Financial Counselling Service,
· Liberation Larder,
· Parenting Support-PARENTeam,
· Family Law Social Worker
· Probation and Parole,
· Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
· Skills for Education and Employment(SEE)
· Centrelink Community Engagement Officer
· Partners in Recovery
· New Access Medicare Local
· Salvation Army ER Caseworkers housing Service
· Community Programs Housing Worker
· INTRA Smart Steps Program
· Australia Breast Feeding Association
Staff skills and expertise
The MDNC has seven part time staff, all of whom have tertiary qualifications and extensive experience in working in the community sector including experience in working with state and local government. It is a requirement that staff have a good knowledge and understanding of the Mullumbimby and surrounding district communities, and the diversity of the population.
A diverse group of volunteers fill 1664 rostered shifts per year with duties ranging from the preparation and serving of food, computer operation, client support, reception, office administration, data collection, and emergency relief.
The MDNC is the only generalist community service organisation in the Byron Shire and delivers a diversity of services to a diverse population.
Community Development projects: International Women’s Day, NAIDOC Week, Reclaim the Night, Social Inclusion Day.